Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup Opening Goal Mapped

I couldn't resist mapping the first goal of the 2010 South African World Cup (and what a goal it was).


The map shows how Dikgacoi (D) bypassed the Mexican defence with a beautifully weighted pass ahead of Tshabalala (T) who fired home from 15 yards, out wide in the Mexican penalty area.

I used the Static Maps API v2 Wizard to create the map on top of the Google Maps satellite image of Soccer City. Click on the image above to see the static map in full size.

I could improve the map I guess by adding the positions of the Mexican defenders (but I think that not even they are sure where they were).

The other alternative could be to overlay a Flash movie of a football on top of the Street View of the Soccer City stadium, but that might just be a little too cheesy.


________________

No comments: